Summertime is when most homeowners notice that their house exteriors need painting. And so work schedules for reputable Madison painting contractors fill up fast. And therein lies a danger, because the temporary shortfall provides ad hoc opportunities for marginal operators and fly-by-night companies.
In desperation to get on someone—anyone’s—schedule, you might be tempted to advance 50 percent to someone whom you’ve never met—or to some Dane County painting company that you’ve never heard of. And you really don’t want to do that. Why?
- Choosing a Madison painting contractor is nothing like choosing a plumber or electrician, where testing and licensure can ensure a minimal level of competence. Anyone can declare himself a painter today and be inside your home tomorrow doing passable work”¦or expensive damage.
- The category of “remodeling contractors,” among them painters, leads all others in the numbers of complaints to other public and private consumer guardians. Your best assurance against fraud and/or incompetence is not what contractors tell you about their qualities—but what they can document.
- Almost 25 percent of Madison painters go out of business within their first three years of operation. And yes, that’s a one-in-four chance that a Dane County painter to whom you advance 50 percent today might be out-of-business tomorrow—and gone with your money.1
1Per BizMiner®, a national economic development consulting firm that performs statistical and financial analyses of business and industry.
The six questions:
There are minimally six important questions you should ask any Madison painting contractor before hiring one. If it’s a reputable company, their representative will not only have the answers to these questions, but proof for each.
- How long have you been in business under the same name?
- How many projects have you completed in that time?
- Do you have a list of references from which I can randomly call?
- To what trade, professional, and business organizations do you belong?
- Are you fully bonded and insured?
- Can you show me independent surveys about your rate of customer satisfaction?
Did you know?
Genesis Painting is a Madison painting contractor that has been in business under the same name for over 20 years. The company guarantees all work for three full years, which is triple the industry standard. Genesis Painting does not ask clients to advance any amount of money for materials or labor.
A Genesis Painting representative will carry an Evidence Portfolio containing such documents as articles of incorporation, certificates of insurance, customer references, independent quality surveys, background checks, and more.
Genesis Painting has been in business under the same name since 1992. The company has received the Angie’s List Super Service Award for 2010 and 2011 and 2012, which is awarded annually to only five percent of all the companies rated on the website.
Genesis Painting is also a longtime member the PDCA, a 3000-member nonprofit professional organization that develops and maintains industry standards for craftsmanship and working standards in the painting & decorating industry.
Genesis Painting employees are fulltime “careerist” painters who have undergone professional background checks. They are regularly availed of training & educational opportunities from vendors, government agencies, and other qualified second parties.
To attract and retain quality fulltime personnel, Genesis Painting offers premium salary and benefits, measured to be within the top 10 percent for the region. Painters are paid hourly rather than “by the job” to incent quality work for each project.